Thursday, February 10, 2011

Carbon Copy Kids

The other day, my 14 year old Ashlee said something that was soooo "Sheryl"!  I was not completely surprised, since, she has talked, walked and acted like me in the past, but....it is amazing when you take into account that Ashlee is my step-daughter.  We are not biologically linked, but...we are...evironmentally linked.  OK, now, I know that this could be a very long discusion about genetics vs. environment, but...that's not the direction that I'm going. :)


When I first married Ashlee's Dad, Ashlee was so serious! She used to tell me that I laughed too much.  My goal with her, was to... lighten her up.  I wanted to give a bit of the goofball influence that I was so... ... capable of doing.  Well, after nine years of knowing her, she's not quite a goofball. She does think I'm funny though, and...there's a big part of her that IS Sheryl.  No mistaking my presense in her life. 


Which brings me to my subject; Kids imitate the influential people around them.  And let's face it, parents are influential, good or bad! They may not become your little clones, but...who wants that, anyway?!


Seems like an easy thing...presenting yourself as a wonderful example for your kids to emulate. 

You just behave perfectly at all times and Voilà! ...perfect kids!  Oh, if it were only that easy, or that possible!

I remember the first time my son Shane came home with a note from his teacher. It said that he called another kid a butt-head. I looked at him with my serious mom face and said "listen, butt-head, what have I taught you about calling names?". Shane gave me his cute little grin, because he knew Exactly what I had taught him. That's when I truly realized how our kids mimic us, as parents. And from then on... I was a perfect mom...

Ok, so I can't see your raised eyebrows, but I feel them. :0. 


Of course I wasn't perfect and of course I made many mistakes!

Shane didn't expect me to be perfect. He did, however need me to be honest. I had to trust his love enough to share my flaws and then jump on that road to improvement. I had to set an example for him that would carry him through life.  And not just Shane, but all of my children and every person that I come into contact with. If perfection is my goal...I fail, but....If I teach my children from my mistakes as well as my successes, then....I, am successful.

Its so cool as a mom, to hear or see your child imitate you, but what's even more rewarding, is seeing your adult children embrace your core beliefs. What a blessing!

Shane is 28 now and...rarely...


calls anyone butthead.

Makes a momma proud. :)






Ps: for you younger people who don't know what carbon copy is...google it. (he he he)

5 comments:

  1. I'm not 28 yet Mom!!! But seriously, that was a great post.. You are the perfect Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having adopted a Filipino baby, who in no way will EVER look like me, it is amazing how many times in her 19 years that someone has commented "she looks like you". I do think that our children, whether biological or adopted, do pick up our mannerisms and that is what people see. And on a side note... I can't beleive you wrote "butthead"! Mom is going to be so disappointed in you. butt, butt, butt, butt...)*smile*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watch out Jeanie...Mom will wash your mouth out with soap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! I love this post because your personality totaly shows when you put it in writing about the relationship that you and I have!! LUVVV YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was a great story. shane calls me butthead.;)

    ReplyDelete