Sunday, March 20, 2011

Follow up, on Girls, Girls, Girls

After posting "Girls, Girls, Girls".  I received a very interesting private response.  I asked if I could post it anonymously because it was so educational.  It gave me another angle to think about and I thought it might do the same for you.  Here is her response:

 After reading your blog, I became a little sad...for me! I never had a sister and my Mom was not my best friend...then! My only adult friend while growing up was a Aunt. She took time with me and Saturdays were usually spent at her home after I completed all my chores. I craved her company. She only had boys (3 of them) and so I think it was mutual. But, something I missed out on has kept me from "meshing" with other women all my life...unsure of myself, lack of confidence, lack of acceptance...I felt judged by other women. When my daughter came into my life, I strove to instill confidence and unconditional acceptance and unconditional love, so she wouldn't feel what I've always felt. These important and concrete supports are vital to girls and young women. I've watched you...you are the epitome of wholesome and joyful friendship with women. I admire you and appreciate you for being you. 

I guess because I've had such a great mom, sisters and friends...I never gave much thought to why other women find friendships difficult.  This response made me realize, once again how fortunate I am, but also how important it is to be a good Mom, Aunt or mentor.  

When I was working with teenagers, through our church, one thing that stood out, was that any teenager that was really sharp, had a great influence in their life.  This usually was not both parents.  In fact, most of the really exceptional kids, came from broken or dysfunctional homes.  But, they had the one great, parent or grandparent etc.

One person in their lives... made them extraordinary!  

As I thought about the above response, my heart began to break for her.  Just thinking about all the little girls out there. Knowing how deeply they want to look up to women, want a female mentor, but have no one. Makes me want to reach out, even more.  I hope that you feel the same way.  There is nothing more rewarding than being a part of someones life and knowing that your influence has given them a better one!
 

2 comments:

  1. Im so very greatful to have strong christian parents like you but also having that dysfunctional one wasnt so bad either. I would look and see that I would never want to make the same mistakes. It helped me see what the wrong thing was and I would look to my strong parents and set my goals to that parent. The distinct contrast helps a lot sometimes and I hope that that will make me a better mother and woman someday. But I will also say this...having a dysfunctional parent comes with some very dysfunctional fights and disagreements and baggage as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that i have you guys you are the best.

    ReplyDelete